Sunday 20 February 2011

Black Swan



I went to see this movie with my mother in law and when it finished we both just sat there... As we walked out the first question she asked me was "Did you like it". I couldn't answer right away, I had no idea.  I was still processing, what did it all mean, what was real and what wasn't?  I really wasn't sure what I thought and to be completely honest I'm still not 100 percent sure what I think - I'm still processing and think it might be one of those ones that I need to see again to fully comprehend. The thing I can say is that I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and didn't take my eyes off the screen for the whole hour and 48 minutes.

All in all it was really intense, its a psychological thriller based around the story of a ballet company doing a performance of swan lake.  The director feels that Nina (Portman) has the beauty, talent and grace to play the white swan but isn't dark or experienced enough to play the black swan.  As Nina tries to draw on her dark side to prove him wrong and create a perfect balance of black and white she becomes not only reckless but what I can only describe as schizophrenic. The role begins to consume her she rehearses all day and into the night to come home to a really creepy, overbearing mother.

Overall the dancing was amazing, Natalie Portman was amazing and I enjoyed it, well I think I did. I'll give it 4 out of 5. 

Thanks 
M x


No comments:

Post a Comment