Sunday 31 January 2016

Room


I saw this today & I can't stop thinking about it!

The movie starts by showing you a mum & son going through their daily routine contained within the four walls of a "room". As the story unfolds it becomes clear they are being held captive by "old Nick" who visits daily to deliver supplies & collect sexual favors from Joy (the mother). Joy has been held for 7 years and her son jack is 5. They make a beautiful life inside a shed that they call "room" and she teaches her son and provides for him as best she can. Eventually they escape and the story moves to their entry into the world...

Jack: I've been in the world 37 hours. I've seen pancakes, and a stairs, and birds, and windows, and hundreds of cars. And clouds, and police, and doctors, and grandma and grandpa. But Ma says they don't live together in the hammock house anymore. Grandma lives there with her friend Leo now. And Grandpa lives far away. I've seen persons with different faces, and bigness, and smells, talking all together. The world's like all TV planets on at the same time, so I don't know which way to look and listen. There's doors and... more doors. And behind all the doors, there's another inside, and another outside. And things happen, happen, HAPPENING. It never stops. Plus, the world's always changing brightness, and hotness. And there's invisible germs floating everywhere. When I was small, I only knew small things. But now I'm five, I know EVERYTHING!

At the start of the film watching them in the room, I couldn't help but think of how nice it might be to be totally focused on the routine of living. No outside influences to distract you from spending time with your child finding things to entertain yourselves like stretching, creating boats out of shampoo bottles and a snake out of egg shells. When she snapped at his constant questions I couldn't help but think well that's only fair she doesn't get a break, she can't even leave the room! I really came to accept their lif in "room" as being happy & simple. Obviously I don't want to get stolen & live in a shed but it was a calm to the routine and simplicity of it all. No Facebook no worries about what everyone else is doing, just doing your thing. As the movie continued, I just felt so much empathy for the boy and the mum, she was back in the world trying to fit & be a human and he just wanted to be close to her & near her as she was all that was familiar to him.

This film is a must see but I would warn it is so hard to watch. I cried, I laughed and I felt sick to my stomach. The whole thing was really well done!

I give it 9

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment